Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Ramones on styrene

"Styrene is evil", I read on a blog. But it's not only evil, it's also a kind of plastic that was used for making records. The reason is that it is cheaper than vinyl. The reason it is evil is because styrene is easy degradable, the material is so poor that the record will wear to a bad, noisy condition rapidly. A mint looking record can easily sound crap. I have told you before about the styrene-pressings of I Wanna Be Sedated on RSO.
After that discovery, I had to go through my collection in search of more evil records – and I found some. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the labels, on a styrene record the labels are glued on. You can feel the edge to the label. On a vinyl record the labels are stamped into the vinyl, no edge.
It turned out that most of the early US singles with ABC distribution are made of styrene. But only the stock copies, the promo versions are all vinyl. I have not found any other styrene pressings, it look like the stuff wasn't used outside the US.

Here are the Ramones 45's made of styrene released on Sire records:


Title: Blitzkrieg Bop (mono)/Havana Affair 
Number: Sire SAA-725
Year: 1976
Country: United States
Notes: ABC distribution. Styrene pressing.





Title: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend//California Sun/I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You (Live)
Number: Sire SAA-734
Year: 1976
Country: US
Notes: ABC distribution. Styrene pressing.




Title:Swallow my pride/Pinhead
Number: Sire SA-738
Year: 1977
Country: US
Notes: ABC distribution. Styrene pressing.





Title:Sheena Is A Punk Rocker/I Don't Care
Number: Sire SA-746
Year: 1977
Country: US
Notes: ABC distribution. Styrene pressing.


3 comments:

  1. Your blog is awesome !!! greetings from Argentina. Im a collector too, but not as your level. Thanks a lot for sharing this !

    pablopelado@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks! I havn't been publishing anything here for a while but will soon be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic page! From Melbourne Australia.

    ReplyDelete